Date of Completion
C.M. Maresh; W.J. Kraemer
Field of Study
Master of Science
Foods incorporating plant sterols (PS) reduce Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) on average approximately 10%. PS with a higher lipid solubility may promote greater reductions. We examined the cholesterol lowering effect of a novel triglyceride recrystallized phystosterol (TRP). Twenty subjects (mean ± SD; age, 56 ± 10 years; BMI, 27 ± 5) with elevated LDL (>100 mg/dL) participated in three 4-week phases; Phase I, 2% milk; Phase II, milk with 2.0 grams (g) free PS; Phase III, milk with 2.0 g TRP. Before and after each phase two fasting blood draws were obtained for determination of serum cholesterol. Between the 2% and TRP milk phases total, LDL and High-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol changed by -9.0% (p = .001), -11.0% (p = .002) and -8.0% (p = .029) respectively: between the free PS and TRP milk phases total, LDL and HDL cholesterol changed by -3.3% (p = .136), -2.3% (p = 1.00), -6.4% (p = .023) respectively. Apo B concentrations resulted in a decrease of -6.9% (p = .048) between the free PS and TRP milk phases and did not significantly change between the 2% and TRP milk phases. Triglycerides and Apo A1 concentrations did not significantly change between any of the phases. In conclusion, TRP can be effectively incorporated into a skim milk resulting in a significant cholesterol lowering effect. (218 words)
Cusack, Laura Kells, "Cholesterol Lowering Effects of Milk with Added Phytosterols" (2012). Master's Theses. Paper 270.